Pulled Pork Cakes
Pair with J. Cage Pinot Noir
Makes about 9 appetizer size cakes
1 lb. pulled pork, coarsely chopped
2 cups Panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon jalapeno, finely chopped
¼ 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/8 cup celery, finely chopped
¼ 1/4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or grated
1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1egg, well beaten
Salt, pepper and BBQ rub (your favorite) to taste
1/4 teaspoon Worcester sauce
Canola oil for frying
- Sauté jalapeno, bell pepper, celery, onion and garlic until tender and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped pulled pork, cooled vegetables, 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs, beaten egg, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and Worcester sauce. Mix until it starts to come together. Season to taste with salt, pepper and BBQ rub.
- Season the remaining 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs with your favorite BBQ rub.
- Form cakes and dredge them in the seasoned bread crumbs, I use a 1/4 cup measure for the cakes.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Heat about 1/2 inch oil in a skillet to roughly 350 degrees.
- Sauté cakes until golden brown, watching closely so that they do not burn.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and place in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes until they are completely warmed through.
Can be served on warm or toasted slider buns with Cole slaw.
Pulled pork can be purchased at a BBQ restaurant as long as it does not have sauce on it